Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Student Profile: Isaac Standish


This month, we’re featuring Isaac Standish, a Ph.D. student at Michigan State University in Lansing, MI. Read on to learn more about Isaac and his research.

 


1.     What is your current research/position?
I am currently a PhD student in Dr. Mohamed Faisal’s lab at Michigan State University.
 2.     What sparked your interest in aquatic animal health?
Originally, I was a pre-med major as an undergrad, which was interesting, but I found myself being pulled towards more environmental majors.  So I changed my major to fisheries and wildlife.  When I decided to go to grad school, I learned about the Aquatic Animal Health Lab and it seemed like a perfect combination of my interest in medicine and fisheries.
 3.     What has been your favorite fisheries-related job? 
As an undergraduate, I worked as an assistant to a fisheries and wildlife graduate student on a scuba diving project.  We were examining the benthic population of Saginaw Bay and relationships to nutrient cycling. It was awesome, every day we would dive several times and spend the whole day on the boat soaking up sun.
 4.     What do you like most about graduate/professional school?  
Now that I have been in our lab for a few years, I like the diagnostic work that we do. We function as a primary fisheries diagnostic lab for the state, so there are always interesting cases coming in that we are trying to figure out. Also, since we cater to government facilities, conduct wild fish surveys, and work with private dealers, we are constantly exposed to new things.
5.     When and why did you first become involved with AFS and the FHS? 
It wasn’t until my second year of graduate school that I became involved. Someone asked me if I was a member of AFS yet, I said that I wasn’t, and they acted like it was a no-brainer that I get involved.
6. What are your long-term professional goals (FHS or otherwise)? 
To be honest, I’m not sure where I will be in five years. Ultimately, I want to help fisheries in some way.  Someone once told me that by 2050, there will not be any wild fish anymore.  I said I’ll do my best to make that doesn’t happen. I want the future generations to be able to enjoy this great resource as we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment